Guidelines for the conduct of election for School Management Committee(SMC) in A.P. Guidelines for the conduct of election of Chairman, Vice Chairman and members of School Management Committees in the Schools (except unaided private schools) in the state.
SMC-School Management Committee Elections Norms and Guidelines:
- The HM shall conduct meeting of all the parents/guardians of children in each class to elect 3 members, of whom at least one person is parent/guardian of a child from the socially disadvantaged group, one person is a parent/guardian of a child
belonging to weaker sections, and another from general category. From among them, two members shall be women.
- All the sections and all the mediums of a particular class in a school shall be treated as one class only.
- The school having both primary and upper primary classes shall have one SMC for the entire school.
- In case of schools having classes for both elementary and secondary education, separate School Management Committee shall be constituted for the elementary section, which may be styled as ‘upper primary School Management Committee’ of the corresponding school.
- Child belonging to socially disadvantaged group means and includes a child belonging to the Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, Orphans, Migrant and Street Children, Children With Special Needs and HIV affected/infected children. 6. A child belonging to weaker sections means a child belonging to BC, Minorities and includes OCs whose parents income does not exceed Rs 60,000/- per annum.
The following are the details of members to be elected as per the classes running in a school
SMC Members in Primary School for Classes I to V
School Management Committee Elections Members in Upper Primary School for Classes I to VIII
SMC Members in High School for Classes VI to VIII
- The School Management Committee (SMC) shall elect the Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson from among its elected members. Provided that at least one among them should be a parent/guardian of a child from the disadvantaged group or the weaker sections and another should be a woman candidate.
- In case, the number of children in a class is less than 6, the same shall be combined with the next lower or higher class, such that the number of electors in the combined class is 6 or more.
- The parent/guardian having children in different classes shall be eligible to Participate in the election process of each class.
At least 50% of the parents/guardians should be present for conducting the Elections.
- HM shall conduct the election.
- Elections shall ordinarily be by show of hands or voice vote. In extra ordinary Situations of unresolved contention, secret ballot procedures may be adopted.
- The HM shall conduct meeting of parents/guardians to elect the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Members of the SMCs. This process shall be completed before 29th June 2013 without fail.
- They must conduct SMC meeting with the elected members of SMC on the eve of SMC Dinotsavam on 29-6-2013 as a part of Education Fortnight.
- The term of an elected member will be for two years, or the date of leaving-from-the-school of the member’s child/ward, whichever is earlier.
- New parent/guardian members from entry class will be inducted into the SMC to replace those parent members who will move out of the SMC when their children leave school. Electors of respective classes shall elect new parent/guardian members of SMC from entry
class and also to fill in any casual vacancy.